Saturday, February 6, 2016

Seek the Lord for Strength


Colossians 1:11

"...strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy..."



     Paul's prayer for the Corinthian church is that she be strengthened by God to endure every manner of trial which comes her way.

     "all might" means that every ounce of strength has been given.

     "glorious power" means that his power is perfect, good, and true.

     "all patience" means that there is not a single scheme of man nor hell which cannot be endured. Not only endured, but endured "with joy." The beauty of God's work is that it is a mighty and powerful work. His work is also complete and leaves no room for improvement, for it is already perfect. Notice that Paul prayed for this kind of patience to be given. Such joyous living is not something man is born with, nor is it something which just happens to fall upon some people. Rather, it must be sought in the secret place of prayer with diligence.

     God does not desire that, as Christians, we live our lives without joy and without power. We must strive to seek the Lord and He will pour out the infinite riches of His grace toward us. I only dare speak the word "grace" because the work of Jesus Christ allows me to speak it. I deserve nothing of the sort. All I deserve is condemnation before a God who is "holy, holy, holy." My wickedness of heart is a damnable abomination to a God who is infinitely good. But Jesus Christ bore my sin, and God the Father damned His own Son on my behalf, that the price I could not pay is now paid in full.

     I will apply this verse to my life today by praying for someone tonight regarding the message of this verse: that he be strengthened by the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment